header-photo
Today has had its ups and downs, metaphorically speaking. After about 20 miles, I got a flat (down). But this led to some truly wonderful people stopping to help me. They have me a lift to their home, where we worked on the bike. They invited me to join them for lunch, then allowed me to use their shower (probably more a favor to them than to me). After that, I was on my way. 16 miles later, another flat. And I was now out of spares. So I got towed to the next town, where I'll (hopefully) get fixed up tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy, Be sure to check your tire carefully for thorns that can lodge in the tire and puncture the repaired (or a new) innertube. You can only find them in the tire by rubbing your finger carefully along the tire, match up the location of the hole in the innertube with the corresponding spot on the tire, then feel around carefully for the thorn and pull it out. In that part of the country there are some plants that grow on the roadsides that have stickers and thorns you may not notice.
Cindy Koether

jana p said...

"Problems are only opportunities with thorns on them." hope you tire problems stop occurring so frequently. but think about it cuz, by the end of this trip i bet you will be able to change a flat or air up a tire faster then the guys on nascar. lol love you and praying for you daily. jana

Anonymous said...

Andrew, Tomorrow (Tuesday) you'll be not far from where Mary DeLaine was born, in Independence, KS. Her grandfather lived in Neodesha, which is South of Yates Center on U.S. Highway 75. In a few days, when you cross the Ohio River from Illinois into Kentucky, you'll be near my hometown of Paducah, and then later in Kentucky, a couple of miles West of Sonora (in Hardin County), you'll go right by my Mother's cousin's house. 2 years ago our grandson and son-in-law camped there overnight. You're making good progress, and we'll be delighted when you make it all the way to Yorktown. Best wishes from James & Mary DeLaine

Post a Comment