header-photo

I've reached Kentucky, which is somewhat more familiar territory

This morning, I crossed over the Ohio River into Kentucky. This is my next to last state. I'm definitely in the home stretch now. I can't say I'm sad about that. To be honest, I'm really looking forward to getting home. It will be nice to stay in my own house, eat home-cooked food, and see people I actually recognize.

I had my first dog encounter yesterday. I was riding down a little country road when a couple dogs, including a big Rottweiler, started barking and chasing me. During the process of pulling out my spray, I was run off the road. My bike fell over, but I managed to keep my feet. Funnily enough, as soon as I was off the bike, the dogs forgot about me and went back to the yards. So, I cautiously picked up the bike, wheeled it back on the road, and surreptitiously climbed back on to make my getaway. This brought the dogs running. Fortunately, the spray kept them at bay long enough for me to leave their territory.

Last night, I was planning to stay at Tower Rock, a campground run by the US Forest Service. However, when I asked about it at a gas station, the lady told me it was very primitive, isolated, empty, creepy, and a hang-out of the local rowdies. If I went five miles further, I'd get to Cave in Rock state park, which has a very nice campground. So that's what I did.

Today, I made it to Sebree, KY. First Baptist Church here has a ministry where they provide hospitality to cyclists passing through. They're letting me stay in the church youth area (with a mattress and air-conditioning) and let me take a shower. Since it is Wednesday night, I got to attend a Bible study, which is good. I haven't been to church in two weeks, so it was nice to have a little bit of that. Afterwards, the pastor invited me over to his house for ice cream. I enjoyed visiting with him and his wife and the youth pastor.

The other day I was talking to another cyclist about verses that went through our minds during the day. He told me that he often reflected on that verse from Isaiah: "The will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not grow faint." I told him that I spent a lot of time thinking about Romans 5:3-4 "We rejoice also in suffering, because suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope."

I'm looking forward to seeing family, beginning on Friday. Hope everyone is doing well.

1 comments:

jana p said...

andrew i can't to see ya buddy! looking forward to hearing some good stories from the tour de usa. lol love ya praying for you daily

Post a Comment