header-photo

Taking a day off in Pueblo

As I said last night (while doing laundry... for free!), I'm in Pueblo, CO. I'm now out of the Rockies, so everything is going to be considerably flatter from this point forward. Today, I'm going to get some groceries, have my bike tuned up, and visit the zoo! I haven't been to the zoo in a long time, so I'm excited.

Since my last post, I've done a couple big climbs. The day before yesterday, I went over Monarch Pass, one of the highest paved roads in the country. It's also on the Continental Divide, the midway point between the Atlantic and the Pacific. That was pretty cool. I caught some snow up there, but it wasn't too bad. I had to stop partway down the mountain to thaw out my hands, because I wanted to make sure I could still pull the brakes (something I did a lot).

A few days ago, I got my first flat tire. Actually, it's only the second flat tire I've ever gotten in my life. That was when I discovered that my pump is pretty much useless. It was a most unpleasant experience, being stuck on top of a mountain, in the wind and rain, trying to fix a flat, hoping it wouldn't start to lightning. I ended up getting "towed" to the next town. The tow truck guy said he'd never towed a bike, not in eight years of business.

Those are the highlights I can think of right now, but since the computer is in my hotel, I'll probably update again before leaving town. Thanks to everyone for all the support. I hope everyone is doing well.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Buffkin said...

You are like so my hero. Not only do you trek across the country, but you have found yourself in the only inland zoo with a narwhal in captivity. Unbelievable.

Unknown said...

Hope you enjoyed Pueblo. It's a neat little town. Doc hunts not too far from there in a tiny place called La Veta southwest of Pueblo. Not too far from I-25 and Route 160. There is some useless trivia for you. Keep it up!!! Looking forward to your return.

Post a Comment